Friday, December 3, 2010

Mini Group Review: ELF eye blending & crease brushes



ELF Mineral Blending Eye Brush

Rating: 5 out of 5
Price: $5.00
Would I Buy Again: Yes, I think I bought a back up that should be here today.

The ELF mineral line has a new line of brushes. These differ from the others because they have bamboo handles, recycled material, and they all run for $5.00. I bought the Blending Eye Brush and I absolutely love it.

The bristles are very soft, I think maybe one hair shedded before I washed it the first time (and it dried very quickly). I wouldn't use it strictly as a blending brush, I don't think its dense enough for that. I use it as a crease brush. It is firm enough for precise color placement and not so dense that it leaves obvious lines, it kind of blends as you go.


ELF Crease Brush (regular line)

Rating: 4 out of 5
Price: $1.00
Would I Buy Again: Maybe

This crease brush reminds me of an overweight pencil brush. Its short and comes to an obvious point. I think its too short for a crease brush for most eyes, people with smaller eyes might like it better. Or if want a little bit of a color in a small area it would work for that. I use it for the outer corner and under the lower lashes if I want a smudgy line (I wouldn't use dark colors with this brush there). Its not a bad brush, its just isn't one that everyone needs to have and doesn't function as an all over crease brush. It is very soft with no shedding.


ELF Eye Blending Brush (regular line)

Rating: 5 out of 5
Price: $1.00
Would I Buy Again: Yes, I'm on my second one.

I love this brush. Back when ELF first came around it was an ugly scratchy sparse unless piece of crap but they totally re-did it and now I love it.

It is very soft and dense, really good a blending out those harsh lines on the brow bone. Its also great at applying color to the crease. If you are looking for a great crease/blending brush this is for you. Of all my crease brushes this and the mineral one are my favorites that I use almost daily.

On thing I want to mention is that with my first (reformulated) brush the handle broke off and after maybe 6 months chunks of bristles started coming out. I don't know if this was a fluke or if I got water inside the brush and it ruined or what. I've never had that with another ELF brush so I an not really upset about it (it was a dollar for 6 months of use, not a bad deal). If it happens again I'll bring the rating down, otherwise I'm passing it off as a fluke and will continue to recommend this brush, it really is amazing.

5 comments:

Jasmin said...

Great post! I just started trying e.l.f products. I am liking what I've purchased so far.

Katrina said...

Thanks Jasmin. I just got a bunch more ELF stuff so stay tuned for more reviews.

she walks iin beauty said...

Thanks for sharing! I ordered some of these yesterday but can't remember which. :o/ For the price they're definitely worth trying! BTW, I'm having a MAC gift card giveaway on my blog if you're interested. (:

-Ariana
http://shewalksiinbeauty.blogspot.com/

Crystal said...

those look great! sadly, these brushes aren't available here. we only have the scratchy ones :(

Marilyn @ Lipgloss and Spandex said...

I LOVE the ELF blending brush. I've bought a few already. As for crease brush, I really like the ELF studio line crease brush for that.